So, my cousin’s wife posted this… thing last night. I spent an hour crafting a response and have posted it below. Please read the original picture post first. I encourage an intelligent discussion from both sides of the line.
Here are the 12 reasons I voted Democratic:
1. I voted Democratic because I believe anyone should be able to marry WHOMever they want. Because animals cannot give informed consent to enter into the legal contract that is marriage. And because my uncles deserve the right to enjoy marriage and all the benefits that come with it as much as you or anyone else does.
2. I voted Democratic because while oil companies may or may not only make 4% profit (the exact percentage was not readily available to me, so I will neither argue with or confirm it) from ME per gallon, they make far more than that from their production and manufacturing of crude oil and then some more upon selling the oil to various vendors of the product. But, actually, this is not a major factor for me. Both political parties are in the back pocket of Big Oil so either way I vote, prices are going to be ludicrous.
3. I voted Democratic because the government provides the roads I drive on, the bridges I cross, the parks and museums I visit, the policemen/women that keep my community safe, the firefighters that put out my fires, and pays the salaries of our honorable men and women in the military, including many of my good friends and my cousin (YOUR BROTHER-IN-LAW). So they are allowed to tax me.
4. I voted Democratic because Freedom of Speech is fine even when I don’t agree with what is said. Which is why you were allowed to post such an absurd post lacking any facts, and I am allowed to post my rebuttal (whether or not you choose to delete it and infringe upon my freedom of speech is, obviously, entirely up to you).
5. I voted Democratic because I believe in the right to bear guns. However, I also believe the mentally infirm and other violent individuals should not be able to bear guns because that’s how much of the unnecessary gun violence occurs. Also, no one needs an AK-47 to protect themselves or their family. Military-grade weaponry should be reserved for the military. Much in the same way I do not need a tank, a cannon, or an array of bombs and fighter jets to protect my property and family.
6. I voted Democratic because I’m not completely ridiculous. Humans do leave a definitive carbon footprint on the environment, but I do not believe it is as large as was initially believed when the theory of global warming first was proposed. I believe climate change is a major factor. We should still, however, take care of the environment because we only have one Earth and when we eventually ruin it, we are straight up out of luck.
7. I voted Democratic because a woman should have the right to choose what happens to her own body until a fetus is capable of life outside the womb. Especially in instances of rape and circumstances where pregnancy poses a definitive risk of death to the mother. And if clinical abortions were to cease to be offered desperate women would still find ways to make it happen on their own, through back-alley abortionists and other horrifying means that may end up killing or severely injuring the woman.
8. I voted Democratic because I think illegal aliens have the same basic human rights as any other person in this country (especially their children; how can you fault a child who is here by no fault/choice of his own?). And, contrary to popular Republican beliefs, illegal immigrants do not receive anything in the way of Social Security benefits. Also, we should not take away Social Security from those who paid it.
9. I voted Democratic because I believe successful businesses make more than enough in profits and should pay their taxes (like I have to on all profits I make) to use as the GOVERNMENT sees fit.
10. I voted Democratic because I believe judges should ensure laws and policies adhere to the Constitution and its interpretation so that some fringe kooks who would start revoking human rights left and right don’t get their agendas past unsuspecting voters.
11. I voted Democratic because we are already drilling for oil in the US (in 11 states, actually, and gas prices are still crazy high) and we don’t need to risk fragile environments for non-renewable resources when we could be spending our time and money investing in research for clean, renewable, and less expensive fuel/energy sources.
12. I voted Democratic because I am a well-educated, highly intelligent, open-minded, practical, and reasonable person who is passionate enough about refuting idiotic propaganda like this to do research and craft a rebuttal at 2:30AM.
No misinformation was used in the creation of this message, only hard facts. References available upon request.
Not all Democrats believe the same things that I do, and not all of them are intelligent. Just like not all Republicans are Tea Party nutjobs and not all Republicans are idiots. Can we agree on that if nothing else?